The Certified Professional in Requirements Engineering (CPRE) Certification is sponsored by the International Requirements Engineering Board (IREB ) with actual certification being provided by a number of partner certification bodies in different countries. A certificate issued by a certification body in one country should be recognized (and valid) in all countries where the IREB has a certification partner. Certification partners include the International Software Quality Institute, REB India, and many others.
The IREB has stipulated an exam process for each level of certification and has defined the minimal requirements regarding the exam location. They also provide the exam questions, which are consistent worldwide. The exams are conducted by the certification bodies licensed by IREB e.V., who also issue the certificates for examinees who have passed the exam.
The IREB Certification Model consists of three levels: Foundation, Advanced, and Expert.
The Foundation level (CPRE FL) comprises basic knowledge of eliciting, analyzing, specifying, documenting, validating and managing requirements.
A person with a CPRE FL certificate:
- Is familiar with the terminology of requirements engineering/business analysis and requirements management.
- Understands the basic techniques and methods of requirements engineering and their application.
- Is familiar with the most established notations for requirements.
The Advanced level (CPRE AL) certificate is modular, with separate Advanced Level (AL) certifications either in existence or under development for the following sub-areas:
- Requirements Modeling
- Elicitation and Consolidation
- Business Analysis
- Requirements Management
A holder of a CPRE AL certificate:
- Is familiar with the specific terminology of requirements engineering within the AL module subject area.
- Is familiar with the relevant techniques and methods of requirements engineering within the AL module sub-discipline.
- Has extensive background within the AL module sub-discipline has passed a demanding practical test.
The Expert level certification (CPRE EL) is still under development.
The Foundation Level exam is currently available in the following languages:
- Portuguese (Brazil)
The Advanced level exams are currently only available in the following languages:
- Only the Requirements Elicitation and Consolidation module is currently available in English (as of 8 November 2013)
The Expert level exam is not currently available in any languages.
The CPRE Downloads page includes the following:
- CPRE Foundation level Syllabus
- CPRE Foundation level Glossary in Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish, and Swedish
- CPRE Foundation level Exam Guidelines
- CPRE Foundation level Practice Exam
- The International Requirements Engineering Board web site